The Color of Compromise Study Guide
The Truth about the American Church's Complicity in Racism
On Sale: 2020-12-01
The Color of Compromise Study Guide, used together with The Color of Compromise Video Study, unpacks the content of the video study for an in-depth diagnosis of a racially divided American church, suggesting ways to foster a more equitable and inclusive environment among God's people.
About the Book
An acclaimed, timely study of how people of faith have historically—up to the present day—worked against racial justice. And a call for urgent action by all Christians today in response.
The Color of Compromise is both enlightening and compelling, telling a history we either ignore or just don't know. Equal parts painful and inspirational, it details how the American church has helped create and maintain racist ideas and practices. You will be guided in thinking through concrete solutions for improved race relations and a racially inclusive church.
In The Color of Compromise Video Study, Jemar Tisby takes us to the root of injustice in the American church. This study:
- Takes you on a historical, sociological, and religious journey: from America's early colonial days through slavery and the Civil War
- Covers the tragedy of Jim Crow laws, the victories of the Civil Rights era, and the strides of today's Black Lives Matter movement
- Reveals the cultural and institutional tables we have to flip in order to bring about progress between black and white people
- Charts a path forward to replace established patterns and systems of complicity with bold, courageous, immediate action
- Is a perfect book for pastors and other faith leaders, students, non-students, book clubs, small group studies, history lovers, and all lifelong learners
The Color of Compromise is not a call to shame or a platform to blame white evangelical Christians. It is a call from a place of love and desire to fight for a more racially unified church that no longer compromises what the Bible teaches about human dignity and equality. A call that challenges black and white Christians alike to standup now and begin implementing the concrete ways Tisby outlines, all for a more equitable and inclusive environment among God's people. Starting today.
- The Color of Compromise
- Making Race in the Colonial Era
- Understanding Liberty in the Age of Revolution and Revival
- Institutionalizing Race in the Antebellum Era
- Defending Slavery at the Onset of the Civil War
- Reconstructing White Supremacy in the Jim Crow Era
- Remembering the Complicity in the North
- Compromising with Racism during the Civil Rights Movement
- Organizing the Religious Right at the End of the Twentieth Century
- Reconsidering Racial Reconciliation in the Age of Black Lives Matter
- The Fierce Urgency of Now
- Be Strong and Courageous
Designed for use with The Color of Compromise Video Study (9780310102205), sold separately.
- ISBN: 9780310114833
- ISBN 10: 0310114837
- Imprint: Zondervan
- On Sale: 2020-12-01
- Pages: 176
- List Price: $14.99
- Publisher: Zondervan
- Publication Date: 2020-12-01
- Trim Size: Trim size data not found for this book.
- Category 1 : RELIGION / Christian Life / Social Issues
- Category 2 : RELIGION / Christianity / History
- Category 3 : RELIGION / Religion, Politics & State
- Category 4 : RELIGION / Christian Church / History