The New Testament in Its World: Part 1
An Introduction to the History, Literature, and Theology of the First Christians
On Sale: 2021-12-28
The New Testament in Its World: Part 1 by bestselling author N. T. Wright and Michael F. Bird is designed to open listeners' eyes to the larger world of the New Testament. Guiding you in how to think like a first-century Christian, it stands to become the definitive introduction on the topic.
About the Book
Finally: an introduction that captures the excitement of the early Christians, helping today's listeners to think like a first-century believer while reading the text responsibly for today.
The New Testament in Its World: Part 1 is your passageway from the twenty-first century to the era of Jesus and the first Christians. An introduction placing the entire New Testament and early Christianity in its original context, it is the only such work by distinguished scholar and author N. T. (Tom) Wright.
An ideal guide for students, The New Testament in Its World: Part 1 addresses the many difficult questions faced by those studying early Christianity. Both large and small, these questions include:
- What is the purpose of the New Testament?
- What was the first-century understanding of the kingdom?
- What is the real meaning of the resurrection in its original context?
- What really were the Gospels?
- Who was Paul and why are his letters so controversial?
- As twenty-first-century people, how do we recover the excitement of what it was like to live as Christians in the first or second centuries?
In short, The New Testament in Its World: Part 1 brings together decades of ground-breaking research, writing, and teaching that will open listeners' eyes to the larger world of the New Testament. It presents the New Testament books as historical, literary, and social phenomena located in the world of Second Temple Judaism, amidst Greco-Roman politics and culture, and within early Christianity.
Written for both classroom and personal use, the benefits of The New Testament in Its World: Part 1 include:
- A distillation of the life work of N. T. Wright on the New Testament with input from Michael Bird
- Historical context that situates Jesus and the early church within the history, culture, and religion of Second Temple Judaism and the Greco-Roman world
- Major sections on the historical Jesus, the resurrection of Jesus, and Paul's chronology and theology
- Surveys of each New Testament book that discuss their significance, critical topics like authorship and date, and that provide commentary on contents along with implications for the Christian life
- Up-to-date discussions of textual criticism and the canonization of the New Testament
- A concluding chapter dedicated to living the story of the New Testament
Accompanying figures, tables, images, and reference materials are available in the audiobook companion PDF download.
- Imprint: Zondervan Academic
- On Sale: 2021-12-28
- Publisher: Zondervan Academic
- Publication Date: 2021-12-28
- Trim Size: Trim size data not found for this book.
- Weight: Weight data not found for this book.
- Category 1 : RELIGION / Biblical Studies / Paul's Letters
- Category 2 : HISTORY / Ancient / Greece
- Category 3 : RELIGION / Biblical Studies / Jesus, the Gospels & Acts
- Category 4 : RELIGION / Christian Theology / History