Deconstructing What You Believe Without Sinking Your Faith
On Sale: 2023-08-29
Set Adrift is a practical guide to prepare Christians for today's cultural challenges to Christianity by walking them through a guided process of deconstructing their faith, with the goal of leading them to a deeper walk with Jesus, one that is both authentic and historically Christian.
About the Book
How to analyze and reevaluate your Christian beliefs and experiences in the church while keeping the core of your faith intact.
The number of Christians leaving the church today is significant. Many feel there is no place for them within the faith—they no longer feel at home in their church community or tradition. For various reasons, they are unsettled by the version of Christianity they've inherited.
Stripping away the nonessential aspects of Christianity, Sean McDowell and John Marriott will help you navigate the jarring questions and cultural challenges that lead many to walk away from the faith. You'll come to recognize that there are other ways Christians throughout history have understood what faithfulness to Jesus looks like.
Each chapter provides practical advice on how to disassemble, rethink, and reassemble beliefs that are truly Christian and culturally and personally relevant. You'll learn how you can continue to seek an authentic faith by:
- Establishing Jesus and his teachings as the foundation.
- Utilizing the creeds as boundary markers of what is essential.
- Seeing the entire Bible as a truthful revelation from God.
- Seeing Christianity as a historic and global tradition that encompasses diverse communities and viewpoints.
The authors of this book can personally identify with the process of disillusionment that many young believers go through. They wrote Set Adrift as people who had to navigate their own way back through the fog of deconstruction. They wrote it to offer their own personal suggestions for what to do when you're not sure what to believe anymore.
Reflection questions and resources are included in the audiobook companion PDF download.
- Imprint: Zondervan
- On Sale: 2023-08-29
- Publisher: Zondervan
- Publication Date: 2023-08-29
- Trim Size: Trim size data not found for this book.
- Weight: Weight data not found for this book.
- Category 1 : RELIGION / Christian Theology / Apologetics
- Category 2 : RELIGION / Christian Life / Personal Growth
- Category 3 : RELIGION / Christian Ministry / Discipleship
- Category 4 : RELIGION / Christian Ministry / Youth