Bullies and Saints
An Honest Look at the Good and Evil of Christian History
On Sale: 2024-04-23
John Dickson gives an honest account of the mixed history of Christianity, the evil and the good. He concedes the Christians’ complicity for centuries of bullying but also shows the myriad ways the beautiful teaching of Christ has enriched our world and the lives of countless individuals.
About the Book
Is the world better off without Christianity?
Combining narrative with keen critique of contemporary debates, author and historian John Dickson gives an honest account of 2,000 years of Christian history that helps us understand what Christianity is and what it's meant to be.
To say that the Christian Church has an "image problem" doesn't quite capture it. From the Crusades and the Inquisition to the racism and abuse present in today's Church--both in Catholic and Protestant traditions--the institution that Christ established on earth has a lot to answer for. But the Church has also had moments throughout history when it has been in tune with Jesus' teachings--from the rise of charity to the invention of hospitals.
For defenders of the faith, it's important to be able to recognize the good and bad in the church's history and be inspired to live aligned with Christ. For skeptics, this book is a thought-provoking introduction to the idea that Christianity is, despite all, an essential foundation of our civilization.
Now in softcover, this new edition provides a new chapter on the conversion of the Vikings.
Bullies and Saints will take you on a big-picture journey from the Sermon on the Mount to the modern church:
- Giving contextual accounts of infamous chapters of Christian history, such as the Crusades, and acknowledging their darkness.
- Outlining the great movements of the faith and defending its heroes and saints, some of whom are not commonly recognized.
- Examining the Church beside the teachings and life of Jesus and how it has succeeded in its mission to imitate Christ.
- Imprint: Zondervan
- On Sale: 2024-04-23
- Pages: 384
- Publisher: Zondervan
- Publication Date: 2024-04-23
- Trim Size: 152.000mm x 229.000mm x 0.000mm
- Weight: Weight data not found for this book.
- Category 1 : RELIGION / Christianity / Saints & Sainthood
- Category 2 : HISTORY / Ancient / Rome
- Category 3 : RELIGION / Christianity / History
- Category 4 : RELIGION / Christian Church / History