Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 and 2 Samuel
On Sale: 2009-10-24
This series brings to life the world of the Old Testament through informative entries and full-color photos and graphics. Here readers find the premier commentary set for connecting with the historical and cultural context of the Old Testament.
About the Book
An image rich, passage-by-passage commentary that integrates textual and artifactual context from the ancient Near East to inform our understanding and interpretation of the Hebrew Bible—while remaining respectful to the inerrancy of Scripture.
Without a deep knowledge of the ancient cultures the Old Testament was born from, we can be tempted to impose our own culture on the text, potentially distorting it. This unique Bible backgrounds commentary examines:
- The history of the ancient Near East as a means of recovering knowledge of the events that shaped the lives of the people.
- The archaeology as a means of recovering the lifestyle reflected in the material cultures.
- The literature of the ancient Near East as a means of understanding the heart and soul of the people who inhabited the ancient world that Israel shared.
Detailed exegetical notes are combined with comparative discussions of the cultural settings that help scholars interpret the early historical books: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, and 1 & 2 Samuel.
This volume of the celebrated Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary series brings these five books of the Bible into sharper focus—enabling scholars, pastors, and laity to access rich data from over one hundred and seventy years of explorations and excavations in the Near East.
THE ZONDERVAN ILLUSTRATED BIBLE BACKGROUNDS COMMENTARY SERIES
Invites you to enter the world of the Old Testament with a company of seasoned guides, experts who will give new insights into these cherished writings. Features:
- Over 2000 photographs, drawings, maps, diagrams, and charts provide a visual feast that breathes fresh life into the text.
- Passage-by-passage commentary presents archaeological findings, historical explanations, geographic insights, notes on manners and customs, and more.
- Analysis into the literature of the ancient Near East will open your eyes to new depths of understanding both familiar and unfamiliar passages.
- Written by an international team of 30 specialists, all top scholars in background studies.
'A unique and important commentary. …There is nothing else like it available today.'
'Enables scholars, pastors, and laity to access the rich data from over one hundred and seventy years of explorations and excavations in the Near East.'
'This is an impressive and rich resource…judiciously researched. …Notwithstanding their traditional approach to Scripture, I heartily recommend this series with enthusiasm.'
'This tool is a rich gift to everyone who seeks to teach Scriptures.'
'To me, every Christian should own these commentaries.'
- Imprint: Zondervan Academic
- On Sale: 2009-10-24
- Pages: 544
- Publisher: Zondervan Academic
- Series: Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary
- Publication Date: 2009-10-24
- Trim Size: 197.000mm x 238.000mm x 38.000mm
- Weight: 1.000gr
- Category 1 : RELIGION / Biblical Commentary / Old Testament
- Category 2 : RELIGION / Biblical Criticism & Interpretation / Old Testament
- Category 3 : RELIGION / Biblical Studies / History & Culture
- Category 4 : RELIGION / Christian Ministry / Preaching