Whispers in the Reading Room
On Sale: 2015-11-10
Lydia’s job at the library is her world---until a mysterious patron catches her eye . . . and perhaps her heart.
About the Book
Lydia’s job at the library is her world—she never expected to be a suspect to a murder. And now she must rely on the one man she’s not sure she can trust.
Just months after the closure of the Chicago World’s Fair, librarian Lydia Bancroft finds herself fascinated by a mysterious dark-haired and dark-eyed patron. He has never given her his name; he actually never speaks to a single person. All she knows about him is that he loves books as much as she does.
Only when he rescues her in the lobby of the Hartman Hotel does she discover that his name is Sebastian Marks. She also discovers that he lives at the top of the prestigious hotel and that most everyone in Chicago is intrigued by him.
Lydia and Sebastian form a fragile friendship, but when she discovers that Mr. Marks isn’t merely a very wealthy gentleman, but also the proprietor of an infamous saloon and gambling club, she is shocked.
Lydia insists on visiting the club one fateful night and suddenly is a suspect to a murder. She must determine who she can trust, who is innocent, and if Sebastian Marks—the man so many people fear—is actually everything her heart believes him to be.
“Shelley Gray writes a well-paced story full of historical detail that will invite you into the romance, the glamour . . . and the mystery surrounding the Chicago World’s Fair.” —Colleen Coble, USA Today bestselling author of Rosemary Cottage and the Hope Beach series
- The Chicago World Fair Mystery series
- Book 1—Secrets of Sloane House
- Book 2—Deception on Sable Hill
- Book 3—Whispers in the Reading Room
- Book length: 86,000 words
- Includes discussion questions for book clubs
'Gray is a master at integrating rich details and historical accuracies to create an engaging tale that will take the reader back in time, Strong secondary characters are well integrated. It is a shame to see this series end.' - 4 starred
- Imprint: Zondervan
- On Sale: 2015-11-10
- Pages: 352
- Publisher: Zondervan
- Series: The Chicago World’s Fair Mystery Series
- Publication Date: 2015-11-10
- Trim Size: 139.000mm x 213.000mm x 24.000mm
- Weight: 308.000gr
- Category 1 : FICTION / Romance / Historical / General
- Category 2 : FICTION / Christian / Historical
- Category 3 : FICTION / Christian / Suspense
- Category 4 : FICTION / Mystery & Detective / Amateur Sleuth