Secrets of Sloane House
On Sale: 2020-04-21
Against the backdrop of the 1893 World’s Fair, a young woman finds employment with an illustrious Chicago family---a family who may guard the secret of her sister’s disappearance.
About the Book
Against the backdrop of the 1893 World’s Fair, a new kind of crime comes to Gilded Age Chicago . . . and a lonely young woman is always at risk.
Back on the farm in Wisconsin, Rosalind’s plan had seemed logical: Move to Chicago. Get hired on at Sloane House, one of the most gilded mansions of Chicago. Discover what transpired while her sister worked as a maid there—and follow the clues to why she disappeared.
Now, as a live-in housemaid to the Sloanes, Rosalind realizes her plan had been woefully simple-minded.
She was ignorant of the hard, hidden life of a servant in a big, prominent house; of the divide between the Sloane family and the people who served them; and most of all, she had never imagined so many people could live in such proximity and keep such dark secrets.
Yet, while Sloane House is daunting, the streets of Chicago are downright dangerous. But when Rosalind accepts the friendship of Reid Armstrong, the handsome young heir to a Chicago silver fortune, she becomes an accidental rival to Veronica Sloane.
As Rosalind continues to disguise her kinship to the missing maid—and struggles to appease her jealous mistress—she probes the dark secrets of Sloane House and comes ever closer to uncovering her sister’s mysterious fate. A fate that everyone in the house seems to know . . . but which no one dares to name.
“Gray writes with honesty, tenderness, and depth. Her characters are admirable, richly layered, and impossible to forget long after the story is done.” —Jillian Hart
- Part of the Chicago World’s Fair Mystery series:
- Book one: Secrets of Sloane House
- Book two: Deception on Sable Hill
- Book three: Whispers in the Reading Room
- Book length: approximately 95,000 words
- Includes discussion questions for book clubs
- Imprint: Zondervan
- On Sale: 2020-04-21
- Publisher: Zondervan
- Series: The Chicago World’s Fair Mystery Series
- Publication Date: 2020-04-21
- Trim Size: Trim size data not found for this book.
- Weight: Weight data not found for this book.
- Category 1 : FICTION / Historical
- Category 2 : FICTION / Mystery & Detective / Historical
- Category 3 : FICTION / Romance / Historical / General
- Category 4 : FICTION / Christian / Historical