Walking Grandma Home
A Story of Grief, Hope, and Healing
On Sale: 2023-01-10
In this poignant story about the death of a grandmother, a young boy draws support from shared family memories and processes a range of emotions including fear, grief, and joyful remembrance---and comes to recognize his own important place in the loving circle.
About the Book
This picture book from a child psychologist and counselor uses a touching and relatable story about a young boy’s grief to help children 4-8 understand what it means to lose a loved one and how to process their own emotions of fear, grief, and joyful remembrance.
When Grandma tells Lee she will soon be “going home,” Lee is confused. Isn’t Grandma already home? But as Grandma’s health gets worse and her death approaches, Lee learns what it means to “walk Grandma home” to heaven, while also reflecting on his good memories and dealing with his grief alongside his extended family.
Walking Grandma Home:
- Presents a child’s perspective on losing a loved one that young readers can relate to
- Is ideal for kids who have recently experienced a loved one’s death or are learning about grief for the first time, as well as for children with aging grandparents and family and friends experiencing loss
- Equips parents and caregivers to process a child’s emotions in a healthy and loving way
- Has a page of questions and activities to help children process their own grief and allow caregivers to personalize the story to the child’s experience
- Features text from counselor and author Nancy Bo Flood and beautiful illustrations by Ellen Shi
'Most recently, Nancy Bo Flood's powerful picture book, Walking Grandma Home: A story of grief, hope and healing, has found its place on my shelf. Nancy is that most unusual writer, a child psychologist and counselor who can both embrace her training and move through it to embrace the heart of a story. I say 'move through it' because I have seen over the years how difficult it can be for mental health professionals to set aside all they have been taught to feel a story at its core. Walking Grandma Home is felt. Deeply. Simply. Honestly. And it is written as it is felt. Deeply. Simply. Honestly. A page of suggestions for the adults accompanying a child's experience of death carries those qualities, too.'
- Imprint: Zonderkidz
- On Sale: 2023-01-10
- Pages: 32
- Publisher: Zonderkidz
- Publication Date: 2023-01-10
- Trim Size: 240.000mm x 287.000mm x 9.000mm
- Weight: 439.000gr
- Category 1 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Holidays & Celebrations / Christmas & Advent
- Category 2 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Social Topics / Death & Dying
- Category 3 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Family / Multigenerational
- Category 4 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Religious / Christian / Devotional & Prayer
- Category 5 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Religious / Christian / Family & Relationships
- Category 6 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Religious / Christian / Holidays & Celebrations
- Category 7 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Social Topics / Emotions & Feelings