Hunting the Unabomber
The FBI, Ted Kaczynski, and the Capture of America’s Most Notorious Domestic Terrorist
On Sale: 2020-04-28
The spellbinding account of the most complex and captivating manhunt in American history.
About the Book
The spellbinding account of the most complex and captivating manhunt in American history. "A true-crime masterpiece." -- Booklist (starred review)
On April 3, 1996, a team of FBI agents closed in on an isolated cabin in remote Montana, marking the end of the longest and most expensive investigation in FBI history. The cabin's lone inhabitant was a former mathematics prodigy and professor who had abandoned society decades earlier. Few people knew his name, Theodore Kaczynski, but everyone knew the mayhem and death associated with his nickname: the Unabomber.
For two decades, Kaczynski had masterminded a campaign of random terror, killing and maiming innocent people through bombs sent in untraceable packages. The FBI task force charged with finding the perpetrator of these horrifying crimes grew to 150 people, yet his identity remained a maddening mystery. Then, in 1995, a "manifesto" from the Unabomber was published in the New York Times and Washington Post, resulting in a cascade of tips--including the one that cracked the case.
Hunting the Unabomber includes:
- Exclusive interviews with key law enforcement agents who attempted to track down Kaczynski, correcting the history distorted by earlier films and streaming series
- Never-before-told stories of inter-agency law enforcement conflicts that changed the course of the investigation
- An in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at why the hunt for the Unabomber was almost shut down by the FBI
New York Times bestselling author and former federal prosecutor Lis Wiehl meticulously reconstructs the white-knuckle, tension-filled hunt to identify and capture the mysterious killer. This is a can’t-miss, true crime thriller of the years-long battle of wits between the FBI and the brilliant-but-criminally insane Ted Kaczynski.
"A powerful dual narrative of the unfolding investigation and the life story of Ted Kaczynski...The action progresses with drama and nail-biting intensity, the conclusion foregone yet nonetheless compelling. A true-crime masterpiece." -- Booklist (starred review)
- ISBN: 9780718092122
- ISBN 10: 0718092120
- Imprint: Thomas Nelson
- On Sale: 2020-04-28
- Pages: 336
- List Price: $26.99
- Publisher: Thomas Nelson
- Publication Date: 2020-04-28
- Trim Size: 165.000mm x 236.000mm x 29.000mm
- Weight: 503.000gr
- Category 1 : HISTORY / United States / 20th Century
- Category 2 : BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Criminals & Outlaws
- Category 3 : BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Law Enforcement
- Category 4 : NATURE / Dogs