Tani's New Home
A Refugee Finds Hope and Kindness in America
On Sale: 2020-11-24
The incredible true story of Tani Adewumi, a Nigerian refugee who garnered international news coverage after winning the New York State Chess Championship at the age of eight. Tani's story of finding a new life in America reminds children that perseverance and hope make a difference--and small acts of kindness can make the world a better place.
About the Book
Tani Adewumi's moving true story of immigrating to America, developing his talent for chess, and finding a new home will inspire families looking for stories of hope and kindness.
* 2021 ECPA Top Shelf Book Cover Award winner
Tani was just six years old when he and his family fled persecution in Nigeria and became refugees in New York City. Tani was amazed, and a little overwhelmed, by all the new things in America. But one new experience turned out to be the most wonderful discovery--chess! With joy and determination, Tani studied hard, practicing chess for hours on the floor of his room in the homeless shelter. Less than a year later, he won the New York State Chess Championship, and through one act of kindness after another, found a new home.
This picture book biography for children ages 5 to 10
- tells the captivating real-life story of a young chess champion
- celebrates the power of hope and hard work
- reminds us that we can each make the world a more welcoming place
- encourages empathy and compassion
- includes beautiful digital illustrations by Courtney Dawson
- is perfect for children reading alone; story time for families, classrooms, and libraries; and celebrations of World Refugee Day
This exciting book about chess, family, and community reminds us all that home is a place where you can follow your dreams.
- ISBN: 9781400218288
- ISBN 10: 1400218284
- Imprint: Thomas Nelson
- On Sale: 2020-11-24
- Pages: 32
- List Price: $17.99
- Publisher: Thomas Nelson
- Publication Date: 2020-11-24
- Trim Size: 229.000mm x 273.000mm x 9.000mm
- Weight: 398.000gr
- Category 1 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Biography & Autobiography / Sports & Recreation
- Category 2 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Games & Activities / Board Games
- Category 3 : JUVENILE NONFICTION / Social Topics / Emigration & Immigration