10 titles across seven categories honored as finalists
Nashville, Tenn., May 2023 — HarperCollins Christian Publishing (HCCP) congratulates its authors and publishing teams who were honored with five 2023 Christian Book Awards on May 9, 2023, at an awards ceremony in Nashville, Tennessee. These awards are presented annually by the Evangelical Christian Publishing Association (ECPA) and honor the “best of the year” in Christian books and Bibles.
The five winning titles from HCCP are:
- Bible Reference Works – Early New Testament Apocrypha: Ancient Literature for New Testament Studies with Christopher Edwards, Editor (Zondervan Academic)
- Biography & Memoir – Seasons of Sorrow: The Pain of Loss and the Comfort of God by Tim Challies (Zondervan Reflective)
- Devotion & Gift – When You Don’t Know What to Pray: 100 Essential Prayers for Enduring Life’s Storms by Charles F. Stanley (Zondervan)
- Faith & Culture – Still Time to Care: What We Can Learn from the Church’s Failed Attempt to Cure Homosexuality by Greg Johnson (Zondervan Reflective)
- New Author – Breath as Prayer: Calm Your Anxiety, Focus Your Mind, and Renew Your Soul by Jennifer Tucker (Thomas Nelson Gift)
In addition to the award-winners, 10 HCCP titles were selected as finalists across seven categories. The 10 HCCP finalists are:
- Bibles – NIV Thompson Chain-Reference Bible (Zondervan)
- Bible Study – New Testament Everyday Bible Study Series: Acts by Scot McKnight (HarperChristian Resources)
- Bible Study – The Women of the Bible Speak Workbook by Shannon Bream (HarperChristian Resources)
- Biography & Memoir – America, a Redemption Story: Choosing Hope, Creating Unity by Senator Tim Scott (Thomas Nelson)
- Christian Living – Habits of the Household: Practicing the Story of God in Everyday Family Rhythms by Justin Whitmel Earley (Zondervan)
- Christian Living – How to Hear God: A Simple Guide for Normal People by Pete Greig (Zondervan Reflective)
- Devotion & Gift – You Can Count on God: 365 Devotions by Max Lucado (Thomas Nelson)
- New Author – A Christian’s Guide to Planet Earth: Why It Matters and How to Care for It by Betsy Painter (Zondervan)
- Young People’s Literature – The Wonder of Creation: 100 More Devotions About God and Science by Louie Giglio with Tama Fortner; illustrated by Nicola Anderson (Tommy Nelson)
- Young People’s Literature – You Can Count on God: 100 Devotions for Kids by Max Lucado (Tommy Nelson)
“We are honored that these five titles have been recognized by the ECPA as some of Christian publishing’s best releases of the year,” says Mark Schoenwald, president and CEO of HCCP. “From a record-breaking pool of nearly 400 entries, I’m proud of our winning and nominated authors who chose to partner with us, as well as our publishing teams for their commitment and focus to accomplish our company mission to inspire the world.”
The Christian Book Award® program has recognized the absolute highest quality in Christian books since 1978, when it was called the Gold Medallion Award. Based on excellence in content, literary quality, design, and impact, the Christian Book Award® program is the oldest and among the most prestigious awards in the religious publishing industry.
HarperCollins Christian Publishing
The world’s leading Christian publisher, HarperCollins Christian Publishing, Inc. comprises the Thomas Nelson, Zondervan and HarperChristian Resources publishing groups and imprints, BibleGateway.com, FaithGateway.com, StudyGateway.com and ChurchSource.com. The Company produces bestselling Bibles, inspirational books, academic resources, curriculum, audio and digital content for the Christian market space. Bible Gateway is the world’s largest Christian website with more than 29 million unique visitors each month.
HarperCollins Christian Publishing is headquartered in Nashville, Tenn. For more information visit harpercollinschristian.com.