Depression, Anxiety, and Other Things We Don't Want to Talk About
On Sale: 2021-01-05
A pastor and licensed psychotherapist himself suffering from depression and anxiety takes on the relationship of mental health and faith while addressing the role of self-care, compassion, and restoration.
About the Book
Mental illness loves to tell lies. One of those lies is that you should be able to manage what you're struggling with all by yourself, but in Depression, Anxiety, and Other Things We Don't Want to Talk About, pastor and psychotherapist Ryan Casey Waller reminds us that we don't have to suffer alone.
Mental health issues aren't a symptom of a spiritual failing or insufficient faith. In fact, suffering is the very thing our Savior seeks to heal as he leads us toward restoration. And yet, as Waller has experienced firsthand, the battle can be lonely and discouraging--but it doesn't have to be.
Combining practical theology, clinical insights, and deep empathy, Waller offers a rare mix of companionship and truth, inviting us to:
- Have shame-free conversations about mental health
- Discover why self-knowledge is so important to a deep relationship with God
- Understand the intersection of biology, psychology, and spirituality
- Explore varying avenues of healing in community, therapy, and medication
- Be equipped to support loved ones while practicing self-care
Waller bridges the gap between the spiritual and the psychological in this empathetic, imminently helpful guidebook, reminding us all that we are not alone. Hope starts now.
Praise for Depression, Anxiety, and Other Things We Don't Want to Talk About:
"I work with Christian leaders from all over the country and have seen firsthand how desperately we need to be talking about depression and anxiety. What prior generations considered taboo, the leaders of today and tomorrow consider essential. Whether you're new to the conversation of mental health or intimately familiar with its complexities, Waller's book has something for you. I can't wait for you to read this."
--Grant Skeldon, author of The Passion Generation and Next Gen Director at Q
- Imprint: Thomas Nelson
- On Sale: 2021-01-05
- Pages: 256
- Publisher: Thomas Nelson
- Publication Date: 2021-01-05
- Trim Size: 139.000mm x 213.000mm x 16.000mm
- Weight: 208.000gr
- Category 1 : RELIGION / Christian Life / Personal Growth
- Category 2 : PSYCHOLOGY / Mental Health
- Category 3 : RELIGION / Christian Ministry / Counseling & Recovery
- Category 4 : SELF-HELP / Mood Disorders / Depression